According to Sainsbury’s Bank some 17.5 million people have left some their festive shopping until the last minute, and will be hitting the shops on Christmas Eve, according to new research(1) from Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Cards. This is potentially over 300,000 people more than last year.
On average, people claim around 22.5% of their expenditure during the last week before Christmas Day will be done on Christmas Eve. The corresponding figures for men and women are 27.77% and 16.96% respectively. However, in total, some 8% of the adult population – around 2.5 million people – claim over 50% of their Xmas spend during the last week will be on Christmas Eve.
Simon Ranson, Head of Banking, Sainsbury’s Bank said: “Christmas Eve is going to be a busy day as millions of people look to buy those last minute presents or treats for the big day. If you plan to use your credit card make sure you’re getting reward points for doing so.”
For information on Sainsbury’s Bank credit cards call 0800 030 4429 or log onto www.sainsburysbank.co.uk or pick up a leaflet in-store at Sainsbury’s. Customers applying for a Sainsbury’s card should have their Nectar card ready when they apply.
For further information, please contact:
Ian Morris / Tom Wilson
Citigate Dewe Rogerson
020 7282 1037 / 2842
Notes to editors:
(1) Sainsbury’s Bank commissioned ICM on behalf of its credit cards division. ICM interviewed a random sample of 2,035 adults aged 18+. The interviews were conducted via an online omnibus survey between15th and 17th November 2013. Surveys were conducted across Great Britain and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults 18+. ICM is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
(2) Customers using their Sainsbury’s Nectar Credit Card or Sainsbury’s Low Rate Credit Card in-store or online at Sainsbury’s earn 2 points per £1 spent and 2 Nectar points per £1 spent when using their Nectar card. Therefore, the combined post-introductory reward is 4 points earned per £1 spent; this is equivalent to 2% back on Sainsbury’s shopping. Points are not available on a limited range of Sainsbury’s goods and services. Travel Money purchases are not eligible for points. Nectar points are awarded to customers by Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Limited and Sainsbury’s Bank plc. Nectar points may take up to six weeks to appear on customers’ accounts. More information is available at sainsburysbank.co.uk
(3) Customers must pay at least the minimum payment by the due date and stay within their credit limit to keep their promotional rate
(4) Week’s free shopping earned by combining base points earned in-store/online at Sainsbury’s when swiping Nectar card at the till and earning bonus points when purchasing with the Sainsbury’s Nectar Credit Card. For example, £49 per weekly spend over a year earned 10,912 Nectar points = £50 approx to redeem in-store.
(5) Points can be collected wherever Mastercard is accepted.
(6) Sainsbury’s Bank analysis of UK Cards Association Data.
To view our latest press releases and product information, please visit the Sainsbury’s Bank online media centre at www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/media.
Sainsbury’s was the first major British supermarket to open a bank, commencing trading in February 1997. Benefiting from a fantastic, trusted brand that enables us to combine the shopping experience with personal finance, Sainsbury’s Bank provides a range of quality products including insurances, credit cards, savings and loans. Our proposition is to make shopping more rewarding by offering customers great products at fair prices, while consistently rewarding shoppers for their loyalty and being easy to do business with at all times. Our products consistently top Best Buy tables and regularly win awards for quality, price and service.
Sainsbury’s Bank Plc is a joint venture between J.Sainsbury plc and Lloyds Banking Group.
Sainsbury’s Bank has its own banking licence, is separately regulated by the Financial Services Authority and has an independent membership to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Sainsbury’s Bank plc is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) register number 184514, except for Credit Cards & Loans where it is licensed by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) license no. 421 897.
For further information and general Sainsbury’s Bank enquiries customers can call the freephone number on 0500 40 50 60 or visit www.sainsburysbank.co.uk